Local SNG coalition groups involved: Ballard Greenways, Fremont Greenways
What was the 2015 priority? Make 6th Ave NW, including its NW Market Street intersection safe enough for children to get to school.
- Big Win! Intersection of Leary, 43rd & 6th Ave NW has new signal and sign improvements, funded by Neighborhood Park & Street Fund application by Fremont Greenways in 2014!
- Ballard Greenways has been building a coalition of local groups to gather grassroots support for these safe routes to school improvements and have met with SDOT about the issues and opportunities along 6th Ave NW.
- Big Win! The first Summer Parkway event used 6th Ave NW as its eastern boundary and hundreds of local residents and visitors had the opportunity to ride this route on September 19 2015.
- Win! Seattle Neighborhood Greenways Executive Director Cathy Tuttle co-led a Jane’s Walk along 6th Ave NW from the Burke Gilman Trail to NW 58th Street.
- East Ballard Community Association, Groundswell NW, and West Woodland Neighbors completed a 3-hour walking audit of 6th Ave NW on August 22, 2015.
- Win! PARK(ing) Day entry for 6th Ave NW and NW 65th won the PARK(ing) Day Design Competition. Alta Planning and Design’s Chris Saleeba and Fred Young constructed the winning protected crossing that was in place Sept 18-19, 2015.
- Win! Pacific Crest Elementary at 6th Ave NW and NW 46th was awarded an SDOT mini-grant to study safe routes for their community.