Lake City Greenways is a group of neighbors like you who are working to make their streets safer and more comfortable for everybody.
Our community group works on projects in Meadowbrook and Lake City.
The best way to get involved is to sign up below:
- Olympic Hills Pocket Park: We have been winning grants and organizing our neighbors to clean up, rein-vision, and build a new pocket park in what was left over Seattle Department of Transportation land.
- Olympic Hills Neighborhood Greenway: We successfully advocated for the the Olympic Hills Neighborhood Greenway, on 25th Ave NE, which has been built and is now much loved.
- Lake City Way traffic safety: We have been working with the Seattle Department of Transportation to make Lake City Way safer for everyone, but especially people trying to cross the street on foot. We have done crosswalk actions to educate drivers about yielding to pedestrians, we have studied intersections in need of improvement, and we are advocating for changes.
- UW School of Public Health study of Little Brook: We asked the Community Oriented Public Health Practice program at the University of Washington School of Public Health to take an in depth view of the Little Brook Neighborhood. We worked with them to document the neighborhood’s current conditions and the future hopes of the neighborhood. See the news report or click the image below to read the report.
- UW Landscape Architecture study of Lake City: Students in theWinter 2013 Neighborhood Design Studio studied all of Lake City. Click the report below to see their analysis and observations.
- UW Community, Environment, and Planning study of Lake City: We engaged the UW to study the numerous Pierre properties and offer a toolkit of ideas and resources for how they might look in the future. To read the Lake City Visioning Toolkit click the report below.
- Crowd sourced mapping: We scouted and identified a crowd-sourced map of important walking and biking routes (see map below)
View Lake City Greenways in a larger map
Lake City News
A lot of you are as plugged-in as you want to be to what’s going on in Lake City, but it still happens on a regular basis that people attending a community meeting will ask how they can be kept abreast of events and issues. Many Lake City groups are trying to disseminate timely information. Here are some of them:
- Lake City Live Blog: this blog has been reactivated and enhanced!
- Families for Lake City: the “get connected” menu provides links to neighborhood groups all over LC.
- Lake City Neighborhood Alliance (LCNA): fantastic event calendar and “friends of” tab that provides yet more links to groups.
- Douglas Park Cooperative Blog: a great neighborhood group–check out all the resources they link along the right margin–scroll all the way!